Irina Urumova

The poster brands me as a “phantom,” an elusive character that invites the viewer to follow. It is different from other branding prototypes, such as “star,” “product” or “benefactor,” in that I do not aim at garnering support, I am not inviting to copy me nor do I solicit donations. A phantom may as much be a hero as an anti-hero, the intention underlying this prototype being to leave nobody indifferent whatever it takes. The expressive language employed by the poster may range anywhere from offensive and revolting to enticing and attractive. A phantom does not, however, become closer to the viewer who chooses to follow. It is intrinsically mysterious and elusive and defies clear-cut explanations. It is therefore important for a “me as a phantom” branding poster to use an intentionally vague language, to leave things unsaid. My poster does this by not showing the character´s face (nor its feet – think “yurei” ghosts!) and by making the text not easily readable – the viewer is invited to do some guesswork which adds to the overall mystery. The character´s body language is deliberately neutral to show the disengagement of the phantom from the surrounding reality and the distance between the phantom and the willing follower.